why USB disk cann't be automounted under console terminal

李诚 lchina77 at 163.com
Wed Aug 2 23:33:30 PDT 2006

hello,  my usb disk can be automounted under XWindow when I insert it, and an icon  also
appears on the desktop.  I think the cooperation of HAL and gnome-volume-manager results in
that.
  But when I log out the XWindow and return to the console terminal, my usb disk cann't be
automounted when I insert it.  I must manually  mount it by "mount /dev/sda1" in order to
access it. However,the /etc/fstab file has been modified by HAL to describe the mount point
and mount options of /dev/sda1,  and the mount point (/media/usbdisk) has also been created
by HAL.
  I wonder who is responsible to automount /dev/sda1 under console terminal?  Under XWindow ,
I have gnome-volume-manager to do the mount action,  but what under the console?
Vincent