start to improve "lot of devices" handling

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Thu Feb 9 05:20:08 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:59:23PM +0100, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:55:01 +0100
> Kay Sievers <kay.sievers at vrfy.org> wrote:
>
> >   hal-10-hash-store-01.patch:
> >   Chanes the hal device store device lists and attribute lists to hashes
> >   instead of lists.
>
> Did you manage to fix the problems some folks had with my older
> property-hash patch? (I didn't have enough time to pursue that further,
> sorry.)

No, it's almost the same as you did. It may have the same problems
then... :)

> >   hal-30-longer-timeout-01.patch
> >   Starting with a few thoudsend of devices the current 250 second
> >   timeout is to small for hald to initialize and it kills itself.
>
> Hm, the 250 second timeout was bumped up to 250 by me :) Would it maybe
> be a good idea to get rid of the timeout alltogether, and trust hal to
> finish sometime? There might always be a configuration where a given
> timeout is hit...

Yeah, we should do that. It may not make sense to set it to one hour
anyway. :)

> > All highly experimental and contains probably bugs, but works for me.
>
> Works fine on my s390 LPAR as well.

Oh, good to hear, thanks for testing. As you run into the same timeout
with that box earlier, is it faster with the hashes? How much? How long
does it take to coldplug for how many devices?

Thanks,
Kay