Switching to git

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jul 27 18:41:10 PDT 2006

Hi,

A couple of git hints (this stuff is new for me too!)

You want something like this in your ~/.bash_profile (of course,
substitute your own name / email address)

 export GIT_AUTHOR_NAME=David Zeuthen
 export GIT_COMMITTER_NAME=David Zeuthen
 export GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL=davidz at redhat.com
 export GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL=davidz at redhat.com

When committing a change, I've been told it's always good to use the -a
option, so it's

 $ git commit -a     # then paste a message what your changes do

Remember this only commits to your local repo; to push changes to the
main repo use

 $ git push

If you're committing a patch on behalf of someone else use

 $ git commit -a --author="Kristian Hoegsberg <krh at redhat.com>"

to temporarily override the author (again substitute name, email).

Oh, and the ChangeLog file is gone. I do generate it for disted tarballs
but it's not in GNU ChangeLog format anymore. I'm sure someone will put
that in git some day though.

Have fun,
David