trouble matching ThinkPad X61 for video quirk

Ben Liblit liblit at cs.wisc.edu
Sat Dec 22 02:38:56 PST 2007

My ThinkPad X61 (running Fedora 8 with hal-0.5.10-1.fc8) leaves the
backlight off after resuming from suspend.  Running "pm-suspend
--quirk-s3-bios" reliably fixes the problem.  However, I cannot figure
out how to create an FDI file that matches my machine.  I've added the
attached file as
"/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/20-liblit.fdi".  According
to lshal output, this ought to be matching:

	% lshal | egrep 'system\.hardware\.(vendor|product)'
	system.hardware.product = '7673CTO'  (string)
	system.hardware.vendor = 'LENOVO'  (string)

But it does not.  Resuming from suspend still leaves the backlight off
and lshal suggests the quirk isn't actually being picked up:

	% service haldaemon restart
	% lshal | fgrep quirk
	(no output)

strace on hald confirms that it is at least reading my new
"20-liblit.fdi" file.  So why isn't the quirk taking effect?  I'm
baffled.  :-(