MPIO HD300 Player has wrong match conditions

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Sat Dec 22 09:26:27 PST 2007

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 01:17:04AM +0100, Gabriel C wrote:
> Hi all ,
>
> after updating hal-info to 20071212 on 3 of my boxes by USB disks are shown as 'players'.
>
> this is because MPIO HD300 Player is using :

> <match key="@storage.originating_device:usb.vendor_id" int="0x05e3">
>   <match key="@storage.originating_device:usb.product_id" int="0x0702">

> That does not match anything from the player but the USB Adapter vendor which
> is this :

Well. Normally mp3 players have unique usb ids so they can be destinguished.
The MPIO HD300 seems to use a generic controller (nothing wrong with that), but
also uses the same usb id's as is used for harddisk enclosers. Which means we
can't distinguish between an HD300 and misc harddisk enclosure.

> That need be fixed in some way , please.

Judging from the number of people that told me about this problem, this seems a
quite common chip for usb drives. I've just commited a patch in hal-info git
that comments the MPIO HD300 out. If someone discovers a good way to detect the
HD300, please let us know :) (Judging from the lshal output i got from several
people there isn't a way :( )

  Sjoerd
--
Your picture of the world often changes just before you get it into focus.