[HarfBuzz] plan to release 1.0?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Apr 21 11:45:52 PDT 2011

On 04/20/11 22:25, suzuki toshiya wrote:
> Dear Behdad,

Hi Suzuki-san,

> I remember that you estimated the release of HarfBuzz 1.0
> would be 2011-March, in last year. It seems that it is not
> forthcoming yet, could you tell me about the re-estimated
> schedule of HarfBuzz 1.0?

Yes.  Unfortunately the March deadline slipped for various reasons.  But as
the commit traffic on the list may suggest, I'm working over the clock to
finish harfbuzz.  I'm fully committed to make the September release of Pango
link to harfbuzz 1.0.

This is a roadmap I put together to getting harfbuzz to 1.0 two weeks ago:

- Finish HarfBuzz test suite infrastructure and populate test suite [2weeks]
- Fix remaining bugs and issues with fallback shaping [1weeks]
- HarfBuzz API review and finish [1week]
- Integrate one of the old Indic shapers into HarfBuzz [2weeks]
- Add misc missing script support to HarfBuzz [1week]
- Document HarfBuzz API [1week]
- Release HarfBuzz 1.0 RC! [1week]

The API review will be finished by the end of week (will send a separate mail
about it), and I'm half-way done with the test suite.  I believe the schedule
is achievable, albeit a bit aggressive.  I can use lots of help though.

> I'm not asking for urgent release, just I want to hear about
> your estimation. I had worked for preliminary support of UVS
> for current Pango in last year, and I'm wondering if I should
> continue for further improvement or I should start work with
> current HarfBuzz. Maybe Qt people will be interested in the
> schedule of official release of HarfBuzz 1.0.

Work on HarfBuzz port of Pango definitely.  Note that HarfBuzz already
supports UVS.  Pango, Fontconfig, etc need more work though.  Feel free to
propose API for fontconfig.  I'll make sure it ends up in a release.
Although, I'm changing my mind towards deprecating FcFreeTypeCharIndex() in
favor of calling FreeType directly.  I want to deprecate non-Unicode cmap
support as we move forward.

I'm planning to make 0.6 release this (loooong) weekend, with API that should
for the most part remain stable through 1.0.  Would be great if someone can
pick up Qt port.

Cheers,

behdad