[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.9.99.901

Robert Lowery rglowery at exemail.com.au
Tue Dec 1 05:47:17 CET 2009

> Snapshot 2.9.99.901 (2009-11-30)
> ================================
> This is the first release candidate in preparation for the upcoming
> 2.10.0 release. We will appreciate any feedback we can get from
> testing of this snapshot to improve the 2.10.0 release.
>
> With this snapshot, the xf86-video-intel driver requires kernel
> modesetting (KMS) as all of the user modesetting (UMS) support has
> been removed from the driver.

Hi Carl

Does this removal of UMS support mean the nomodeset kernel parameter will
no longer have any effect?

I ask because I am currently forced to use this parameter due to a couple
of regressions in the KMS driver in the Ubuntu 2.6.31 kernel and I am
wondering if I need to get of my butt to report them and get them fixed
sooner rather than later :)

FYI, the issues I have are on my GM965 based home theatre setup that has a
1080p projector attached to the DVI connector and a CRT TV over component.
1) The DVI connector defaults to 1280 instead of 1920 resolution
2) Option "TV Format" "576p" has no effect in xorg.conf (I have also tried
Option "mode" 576p")
3) TV output margins on xorg.conf have no effect (eg Option "Left" "35")

All of the above works perfectly when I set the nomodeset kernel parameter.

Cheers

-Rob