[Intel-gfx] Question on full HD support.

Christiaan van Dijk dvbmail at xs4all.nl
Thu May 14 20:10:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am looking for a good solution for a full-HD media center setup. Right
now I am considering a board GM45 board with a T9400 processor. The
system will be using Linux. Now I would really like to hear from
practical experiences if such a setup can handle full-HD playback.
I understand the drivers support XvMC so MPEG2 playback should not be a
problem at full screen 1080p playback. H.264 will have to be done in
software I expect and I am thinking here on CoreAVC with the
coreavc-for-linux addition ta make it run under Linux. Is such a system
however powerful enough to handle this?? Memory is shared between the
processor and graphics adapter so does this not cause bottle necks with
the huge amount of data being moved around in full-HD??

There are also boards supporting HDMI output. Does the Linux driver
support HDMI?? And what about audio over the HDMI interface??

I read already quite some nice commercial bla bla about fantastic HD
processing capabilities and so on but up to now I have quite bad
experiences with these statements. As I have learned smooth tear-free
full-HD playback is far from evident.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Christiaan van Dijk.