[Intel-gfx] [SDVO-VGA] Chrontel 7317A and choose VGA/TV outputs

Aidan Dixon Aidan.Dixon at innocoregaming.com
Thu May 21 14:33:27 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have 965GME-based hardware with a Chrontel 7317A SDVO chip used to
provide a second VGA output, with no TV-out capability in hardware.
However, nothing ever gets displayed on a VGA monitor connected to that
output because the device is configured for TV not VGA.

I noticed in the driver that since about driver version 2.4.x, the code
in i830_sdvo_init() checks the capabilities of the SDVO device and uses
this to decide whether to have a TV, TMDS or VGA output; if it's got
SDVO_OUTPUT_SVID0 capability, the output becomes TV-n always, regardless
of the setting of the SDVO_OUTPUT_RGB0 bit.  If I modify
i830_sdvo_init() to check for SDVO_OUTPUT_RGB0 before SDVO_OUTPUT_SVID0
then everything works dandy.

Is there any way (via xorg.conf rather than driver recompilation) to
choose which type of output to select?

Best regards,
--

Aidan Dixon