[Intel-gfx] Work-around wanted for laptop i3-330 1366x768 video

Zhenyu Wang zhenyuw at linux.intel.com
Thu Feb 11 02:49:56 CET 2010

On 2010.02.10 13:27:46 -0800, Barry Zuckerman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm the proud owner of a new Gateway NV59xx laptop with a 15.6" (1360x768)
> LCD screen and native video from the i3-330 processor.
>
> The system is SuSE Enterprise Desktop 11 (kernel 2.6.27.19).  The video
> screen doesn't identify except to show the incorrect 1028x768 resolution.
> The FBDEV auto config fails and just runs as 1024x768.  This is better
> than most other more current Linuxes since they (from web reports) just
> lock up and die.
>
> Does anyone have a work-around for SuSE ED 11?  We can't load a newer or
> different Linux as our customers demand support on this one.  We really
> (really) would like to just update our xorg.conf file.  But failing
> that, a simple Intel video driver change.  Note: the latest code from
> intellinuxgraphics.org drivers won't compile because of config errors
> and numerous ancillary package requirements!
>
> So a functional work-around in the xorg.conf file would be really nice.
> Just a resolution correction that will run with FBDEV might be enough
> until there is a driver from SuSE.  (I won't hold my breath.)
>
> Does anybody have an idea or is this FBDEV approach really dead?

Your kernel is too old to support the Ironlake GPU in i3 CPU. Please use
more recent kernels, 2.6.32.x or 2.6.33-rc to get intel graphics stack to
work on it. Or you may only be able to stick with 'vesa' in xorg.conf...

--
Open Source Technology Center, Intel ltd.

$gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 4D781827