[Intel-gfx] X not starting - Output VGA disconnected message on DH55HC VGA output

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 04:40:35 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Jin, Gordon <gordon.jin at intel.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote on Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:54 AM:
>> Hi,
>>    First post here. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>    I purchased an Intel DH55HC motherboard with a Core i5-661
>> processor a couple of days ago and am attempting to bring up X at this
>> time. The machine is functional, running Gentoo 64-bit, and seems
>> quite fast. The only monitors I own are standard old-style VGA so I'm
>> attaching to the old-style analog VGA connector on the motherboard. I
>> have no PCI or PCI-X graphics adapters in the machine. My problem
>> seems to be that xorg-server is not recognizing that the VGA is
>> actually hooked up:
>>
>> (II) intel(0): Output VGA using monitor section Monitor0
>> (II) intel(0): Output VGA disconnected
>> (WW) intel(0): No outputs definitely connected, trying again...
>> (II) intel(0): Output VGA disconnected
>> (WW) intel(0): Unable to find initial modes
>> (EE) intel(0): No valid modes.
>> (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
>> (II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
>> (II) Unloading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
>> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> What's the xf86-video-intel version? 2.9.0 is required.
> This new processor is only supported in kernel mode setting. Can you try enabling CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS or boot option i915.modeset=1? That will report VGA1 instead of VGA in the log (as shown above).
>
> If that still doesn't work, please file a bug referring to http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/how_to_report_bug.html. We are definitely interested in report against this new processor.
>
> Thanks
> Gordon

Hi Gordon,
   Thanks for the response. I'm very happy to work with you on bug
reports and all. I'd first like to make sure I'm not doing something
stupid though so as not to waste too much time.

   I tried enabling the KMS option, but I see the overall DRM is
modular. Is that a problem? I wasn't expecting what happened. The
machine is up and running but my screen went black at boot time.

   I found get-edid/parse-edid. That info is reported below. My son
had a digital monitor and mine is analog. If I have only 1 monitor
attached the EDID stuff reports for that monitor - wither analog of
digital depending on what's attached. however if I attach both it
reports only the analog one. (I think. If it matters I'll double check
again.)

   I guess I need to understand why the KMS option caused me to lose
all display. I'll have to turn it off again until I get some more
guidance. The kernel notes were very sparse but suggested that with
that turned on I cannot do any frame buffer stuff? Or is it just Intel
frame buffer stuff?

Thanks,
Mark

firefly ~ # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep I915
CONFIG_DRM_I915=m
CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y
firefly ~ #

System info:

kernel - 2.6.32-gentoo-r2

firefly ~ # eix -Ic xorg
[I] x11-base/xorg-drivers (1.6 at 01/23/10): Meta package containing deps
on all xorg drivers
[I] x11-base/xorg-server (1.6.5-r1 at 01/23/10): X.Org X servers
Found 2 matches.
firefly ~ #

firefly ~ # eix -Ic xf86-video-intel
[I] x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel (2.9.1 at 01/23/10): X.Org driver for Intel cards
firefly ~ #

firefly ~ # get-edid | parse-edid
parse-edid: parse-edid version 2.0.0
get-edid: get-edid version 2.0.0

        Performing real mode VBE call
        Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f00 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
        Function supported
        Call successful

        VBE version 300
        VBE string at 0x11100 "Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics
Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS"

VBE/DDC service about to be called
        Report DDC capabilities

        Performing real mode VBE call
        Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
        Function supported
        Call successful

        Monitor and video card combination does not support DDC1 transfers
        Monitor and video card combination supports DDC2 transfers
        0 seconds per 128 byte EDID block transfer
        Screen is not blanked during DDC transfer

Reading next EDID block

VBE/DDC service about to be called
        Read EDID

        Performing real mode VBE call
        Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x1 cx=0x0
        Function supported
        Call successful

parse-edid: EDID checksum passed.

        # EDID version 1 revision 3
Section "Monitor"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        Identifier "SyncMaster"
        VendorName "SAM"
        ModelName "SyncMaster"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
        HorizSync 30-81
        VertRefresh 56-75
        # Max dot clock (video bandwidth) 140 MHz
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        # Block type: 2:0 3:ff
        # DPMS capabilities: Active off:yes  Suspend:yes  Standby:yes

        Mode    "1280x1024"     # vfreq 60.020Hz, hfreq 63.981kHz
                DotClock        108.000000
                HTimings        1280 1328 1440 1688
                VTimings        1024 1025 1028 1066
                Flags   "+HSync" "+VSync"