[Intel-gfx] RFC: i915 arch changes to better support new chipsets

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 12:58:15 CET 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:42:37 -0300, Eugeni Dodonov <eugeni at dodonov.net> wrote:
> I was also thinking on adding a intel_workarounds.c for handling all the
> W/As we have in one place, and having some support for calling them via
> callbacks to run specific WAs during the modeset, after suspend/resume
> cycle and so on.

Too much midlayer. The recipe for modesetting for a particular chipset
goes in e.g. intel_display_pch_ibx.c and that recipe includes the w/a
with the calls to common code in intel_display_pch.c and beyond. (It
should ideally be a straight lift out of the bspec of the modesetting
sequence.) Not the other way around. Otherwise you just have the same
tangle of code just split over many different files and the coupling
masked through complex assemblages of vtables.