[Intel-gfx] RFC: i915 arch changes to better support new chipsets

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Wed Mar 21 21:41:21 CET 2012

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:13:47 -0700
Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org> wrote:
> > > I'm open to suggestions on how to fix i915_reg.h; it's becoming quite a
> > > beast.  Our goal to be to make it easy to add new definitions while
> > > also making it easy to not accidentally use old an incorrect
> > > definitions on a new platform.
> >
> > Close your eyes and just keep on adding gunk. Imo i915_reg.h is pretty
> > much a write-once file, and cscope can still keep up with the definitions.
> > So not a pain point for me.

Oh I forgot the most important thing here: how many f*cking places do
we need to add PCI IDs??!!

I'd really really like to see i915_reg.h shared to libdrm and used
directly by intel-gpu-tools and Mesa if at all possible, whether we
split it or not.  The IS_* and HAS_* macros should be in there as well,
with the PCI IDs, then we can just add this stuff in one place...