[Intel-gfx] [RFC] algorithm for handling bad cachelines

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Wed Mar 28 19:26:52 CEST 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 07:19:43 -0700
Ben Widawsky <ben at bwidawsk.net> wrote:

> I wanted to run this by folks before I start doing any actual work.
>
> This is primarily for GPGPU, or perhaps *really* accurate rendering
> requirements.
>
> IVB+ has an interrupt to tell us when a cacheline seems to be going bad.
> There is also a mechanism to remap the bad cachelines. The
> implementation details aren't quite clear to me yet, but I'd like to
> enable this feature for userspace.
>
> Here is my current plan, but it involves filesystem access, so it's
> probably going to get a lot of flames.
>
> 1. Handle cache line going bad interrupt.
> <After n number of these interrupts to the same line,>
> 2. send a uevent
> 2.5 reset the GPU (docs tell us to)
> <On module load>
> 3. Read  a module parameter with a path in the filesystem
> of the list of bad lines. It's not clear to me yet exactly what I need
> to store, but it should be a relatively simple list.
> 4. Parse list on driver load, and handle as necessary.
> 5. goto 1.
>
> Probably the biggest unanswered question is exactly when in the HW
> while the card is running, I don't need the filesystem stuff, but I
> believe I need to remap the lines quite early in the device bootstrap.
>
> The only alternative I have is a huge comma separated string for a
> module parameter, but I kind of like reading the file better.
>
> Any feedback is highly appreciated. I couldn't really find much
> precedent for doing this in other drivers, so pointers to similar
> things would also be highly welcome.

I think the main thing here is to make sure we handle the L3 parity
check interrupts.  I don't think "lines going bad" will be very common
in practice (maybe if you really abuse your CPU by putting it in the
freezer and then into an oven or something), so having a fancy
interface for it probably isn't too important.

Also, the behavior should be configurable.  For the vast majority of
users, an L3 parity interrupt is no big deal, and resetting the GPU
when we see one is more than we want.  So it should probably be off by
default and be controlled with a module parameter and maybe a config
option.

As for the interface for feeding in bad lines (useful for testing if
nothing else), I'd prefer an ioctl over a module parameter.  Some as yet
uncoded userspace service can load a set based on previously collected
uevents at boot time before any real GPU stuff runs...

Reading a file at load time is definitely a non-starter; we have no
idea whether the filesystem will be available to the module based on
mount points, hiding, chroots, etc.