[Intel-gfx] RFC: i915 arch changes to better support new chipsets

Eugeni Dodonov eugeni at dodonov.net
Wed Mar 28 21:59:15 CEST 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 16:46, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org>wrote:

> > I guess we could have the gen-number stuff be a union of
> > IS_IVB()/IS_HSW()/IS_VLV(), and switch chipset probing to using each of
> > those instead of just gen >= 4.
> >
> > Does this sound sane?
>
> Yeah that might be better anyway, at least for the kernel where the
> IS_GEN stuff is getting more and more overloaded and I'd like to move
> away from it in some places.
>
> So if you're ok with it, that sounds like a good approach.

I think that we could move away from the IS_GEN checks in most places
actually, and not just in some of them, by using the feature checks instead.

My latest branch reports gives `grep IS_GEN * | wc -l` = 112; and if we
look for recent chipsets, we have `grep IS_GEN[67] *` = 47. And most of
those checks have sub-checks as well for specific chip features or names.
So if we drop the IS_GEN macros, and just use the specific feature or GPU
name checks instead we should improve both the readability and decrease the
code complexity I think.

--
Eugeni Dodonov
<http://eugeni.dodonov.net/>