[Libdlo] Latest observations, suggestions, and happy holidays...

James sammy at sammyjames.com
Thu Dec 24 00:06:43 PST 2009

Yet another in the riveting series of "how to" documentation, concerning DisplayLink technology!

I'm really still a power-user. A very POWERFUL power-user, but nonetheless -- I am not a programmer. (Yet.)

Here are my most recent observations while installing drivers for my DL-90 U... read at your own risk.

I reinstall Ubuntu Studio an average of once every two days right now. That's fine -- I don't mind doing that. In fact, every time I start with a "clean" build, I get to try something new, to see how ELSE I can break stuff.

We still have to manually copy drm_edid.h to the file system. And I also discovered tonight that the particular VERSION of that file matters -- when pasting an older version (which still compiled successfully) I didn't get the green screen. It wasn't until I pasted in the one that came WITH THE DRIVER that it finally worked as expected.

Also, the displaylink_drv.so file (gotten via the original displaylink 0.3 driver) still shows up in usr/local/lib/xorg/modules instead of in usr/lib/xorg/modules. If the source can be updated with the newer path, it would make life a bit easier. Plus, since X configure only looks there (as far as I know) it makes it 100% easier to deal with creating xorg.conf and reading log files (like X.0.log).

For anyone who is stumbling about in the dark, here's how you create the xorg.conf file that everyone is talking about. It's super-easy, but does require doing some important steps:

(NOTE -- this ONLY applies to GNOME. KDE users will have to do some research on the web...)

1. Open a terminal and type -- $sudo service gdm stop

This will drop you into a command prompt without the GNOME desktop -- don't get scared! -- just keep reading...

2. Type your username and password when prompted.

3. Type -- $sudo X -configure

You'll see a bunch of stuff on your display. You can read it or ignore it. I don't understand half of it, so the next thing that I do is --

4. Type -- $startx (or, if you prefer, type $sudo service gdm start)

Now, you'll find in your home directory a file called "xorg.conf.new" which you CAN use, if you like, to replace the xorg.conf file at etc/X11/. Just do a sudo nautilus so that you can access the file system for copying and editing.

So -- that is my big night. I hope that you all have a healthy and happy holiday and a great new year. Take care.

- Sammy