MC7430 ubuntu 16.04 or 16.10 and latest kernel

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Dec 14 11:42:59 UTC 2016

Ross Cruickshank <ross.cruickshank at roames.com.au> writes:

> Hello,
> I am trying to get the sierra wireless MC7430 in Ubuntu 16.04. I have
> searched the list archive and can find that there has been some problems
> with this card. However I cant even get it to actually load any interfaces.
> I don't get the 3 serial ports at /dev/tttyUSB? nor /dev/cdc-wdm?
> I have tried upgrading modemmanger to version 1.6 manually using dpkg -i
> and installing the updated dependencies.
>
> libmbim-glib4 (>= 1.12.2)
> libmbim-proxy
> libmm-glib0 (>= 1.5.993)
> libpolkit-gobject-1-0 (>= 0.99)
> libqmi-glib5 (>= 1.14.0)
> libqmi-proxy
> I also upgraded the kernel to 4.8.14
> I have tried ubuntu 16.10 also.

I believe it should work with a v4.8 kernel. But the modem is fully
configurable.  Maybe it is using an identity we don't know?

What's the output of "lsusb -v"? Feel free to remove irrelevant devices
and serial numbers etc.  I'm primarily interested in the modem device ID
and which functions it is configured for (serial, qmi, mbim, etc).