MC7430 ubuntu 16.04 or 16.10 and latest kernel

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Dec 15 16:28:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-12-15 at 08:39 +0100, Sebastian Sjoholm wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 8:29 AM, Ross Cruickshank <
> ross.cruickshank at roames.com.au> wrote:
>

> > This PC's mini pci-E slot does not support USB3 but it has failed
> > back USB
> > 2.0 successfully. This got me thinking that maybe the adapter
> > card  which
> > will
> > be putting PCI-E data on the USB3 bins is casing a problem. So I
> > may need
> > to try taping of this pins on the modem. Apologies if I have wasted
> > anyones
> > time however,
> > maybe this will help anyone else who tries to use a mini pci-E to
> > PCI-E
> > card.
> >

> I have had same issues with Hummingboard2, the MC7455 needs the pins
> taped
> to be able to be recognized. The EM7455 has been working well with
> M.2->mPCIe adapter, and most likely for the same reasons that it does
> not
> let the USB3 signals through.
>
> However, in the latest firmware for MC7455, 02.20.03.00, there is an
> feature added with following description:
>
> "Added feature to force the module to use USB 2.0"

Not to add to the pile, but my Thinkpad X1 Carbon's USB ports (which
all support 3.0) don't work with some USB2 devices either.  I plug the
modem in, and nothing happens.  I move the modem to a USB port on
another device, and it's recognized fine.  Happens with my USB -> mini
PCI-E or USB -> M.2 adapters and some Sierra devices IIRC.

Dan