MC7430 ubuntu 16.04 or 16.10 and latest kernel

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Dec 15 17:06:20 UTC 2016

Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> writes:

> Not to add to the pile, but my Thinkpad X1 Carbon's USB ports (which
> all support 3.0) don't work with some USB2 devices either.  I plug the
> modem in, and nothing happens.  I move the modem to a USB port on
> another device, and it's recognized fine.  Happens with my USB -> mini
> PCI-E or USB -> M.2 adapters and some Sierra devices IIRC.

I've had similar problems with my X1 Carbon.  Then I discovered that it
was possible to push the devices further into the port. There's a
distinct resistance about 90% from full insertion. Pushing it further
requires considerably more force. This makes you believe the plug is
fully inserted before it actually is. But the power lines are connected
at this point, adding to the illusion by lighting up any power LEDs etc.

Maybe you are being fooled by this design feature too?