qmicli / Sierra EM7455

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Mar 10 10:07:20 UTC 2016

Sebastian Sjoholm <sebastian.sjoholm at gmail.com> writes:

> The hardware is actually an Hummingboard Gate from Solid-Run, it has an
> mPCIe slot where I have been using an range of modems with good success.
> Since the EM7455 is M.2, I have an M.2 to mPCIe adapter in the mPCIe slot.
>
> No special design for EM7455, so the mPCIe slot only have the USB 2
> connectivity, therefor you don't see any superspeed.

Ah, right.  So that explains why you have USB2 only.  Why use m.2 when
the same modem is available in mPCIe? Did you need the smaller MHF4
antenna connectors? I usually find them to be more of a problem, as the
pigtails are much more difficult to come by.  Actually had to make my
own when I used an m.2 adapter in my laptop, converting to the laptops
original U.FL antenna connectors.

> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1199:9071 Sierra Wireless, Inc.

Thanks.  OK, so the first entry I added to qmi_wwan was actually correct
then. This is the same ID as my MC7455.  Well, I guess there is no harm
in the comment change I made...

The EM7455 entry I found in Lenovo's driver package is possibly an OEM
specific one then?  Makes sense, as I did find it again in an
USB_APP_BOOT_PIDS NVRAM setting in The OEM specific update
1102662_9905046_EM7455_02.05.07.00_00_Lenovo-Laptop_001.003_000.nvu

> I still seem to have issue with DHCP from the modem after qmicli has done
> the connection, but I get back to that in a moment.

You are aware that it only supports raw-ip mode, and that you need a
DHCP client accepting that? ISCs dhclient won't do, for example.

I use the Busybox udhcpc client myself.  It works with raw-ip interfaces
out of the box.  I am currently using the standard Debian jessie package
(version 1:1.22.0-9+deb8u1) and running something like this (one-shot,
foreground):

 udhcpc -q -f -i wwan0

Make sure the driver is configured for raw-ip first:

 bjorn at nemi:~$ grep . /sys/class/net/wwan0/qmi/raw_ip