Firmware update of MC7455 timing out.

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Nov 30 16:15:15 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-11-30 at 15:09 +0000, Paul Gildea wrote:

> > I'm trying to use the firmware update tool to change the current
> > firmware
> > (SWI9X30C_02.08.02.00 r5428 CARMD-EV-FRMWR2 2016/01/06 20:38:53) to
> > the
> > verizon firmware available on the Sierra Wireless site:
> > https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/
> > minicard/74xx/airprime-em_mc74xx-approved-fw-packages/
> >
> > I have tried the following command but I am getting an error, any
> > ideas? I
> > have tried with several MC7455's and I have been able to upgrade
> > MC7304
> > firmware previously without a problem.
> >

> > qmi-firmware-update --update -w /dev/cdc-wdm0
> > /jffs2/flash/SWI9X30C_02.24.05.06.cwe
> > /jffs2/flash/SWI9X30C_02.24.05.06_VERIZON_002.034_000.nvu

> > setting firmware preference:
> >
> >   firmware version: '02.24.05.06'
> >
> >   config version:   '002.034_000'
> >
> >   carrier:          'VERIZON'
> >
> > rebooting in download mode...
> >
> > download mode detected
> >
> > error: error creating device: timed out waiting for the response
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Paul
> >

> I have done some more testing and now realised every MC7455 modem I
> try to
> update is now stuck in "low-power" mode  and I can not get it out of
> it.
> Although the mode should not be persistent over power cycle it is. I
> will
> see are there any other AT commands I can try to get out of that
> state.

This usually means the PRI and modem images aren't compatible.  Try
these AT commands to get a bit more info:

AT!ENTERCND="A710"

then

AT!GOBIIMPREF?

And then I think that'll give us enough to see what the images you have
onboard are, and whether they are compatible with each other.  This
info is also available via the qmicli --dms-list-stored-images and --
dms-get-firmware-preference commands.

Dan