Querying operator name

Aleksander Morgado aleksandermj at chromium.org
Thu Sep 8 09:52:19 UTC 2022

Hey Tom,

On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 6:42 PM Tom Isaacson <tom.isaacson at teknique.com> wrote:

> When I query different SIM cards with:
> qmicli --device=/dev/cdc-wdm0 --device-open-qmi --nas-get-operator-name
>
> I get different responses. My first SIM returned:
> Service Provider Name
>     Display Condition: '(null)'
>     Name             : 'Skinny'
>
> But in the US that was missing, so I switched to:
> NITZ information:
>     Long Name:  'AT&T'
>     Short Name: 'AT&T'
>     Country:    'initials-do-not-add'
>
> which was also included in the first SIM. But now I'm trying a UK SIM and I get:
> PLMN List:
>     MCC/MNC: '234-15'  LAC Range: 0->65279 PNN Record: 1
>
> which I assume refers to http://mcc-mnc.com/. Do I have to include a copy of this list on my device to lookup the operator name? Are there any other formats that can get returned by this command?

If you want the operator name of your SIM card, you can use
--nas-get-home-network. If that reports that it's unprovisioned, you
can always try to parse the first 5-6 digits of the IMSI and match
them to the MCCMNC of your expected operators.

If you want the operator name of your network provider, you can use
--nas-get-operator-name, or otherwise use --nas-get-system-info to
retrieve the MCCMNC, and then use --nas-get-plmn-name=[mccmnc]