[LGM] Fwd: LGM2014 decision meeting, Saturday at 16.00 UTC

Andreas Vox andreas.vox at gmail.com
Sat May 11 05:32:34 PDT 2013

Am 11.05.2013 um 11:33 schrieb Mario Behling:

> Dear all,
>
> I also have some other remarks to the discussion in this thread: in
> Madrid, there was a meeting, there were proposals, everyone who wanted
> to participate could participate and we all got together instead of
> browsing the city. Now the list gets extended and Sirko is taken off
> the list because of personal disparities or why?

Hi Mario!

IIRC only Louis expressed his wish that Sirko should be excluded in the future.
Since he also prepared the list, it doesn't surprise me that Sirko wasn't on it.
Personally I think that software incompabilities are bad enough, I don't need
people incompabilities on top. Since we didn't have any group decision on
it I'd say Sirko is still in.

> The meeting in Madrid was well announced.

Still, not everyone was in Madrid, so it seems logical to invite people to the
discussion who where involved in the passed.

> We had an in-depth
> discussion. Different ideas were discussed and as far as I could see a
> consensus was reached. After that, we keep seeing different proposals
> how to decide a venue popping up.

I don't think anyone who was present at the Madrid meeting has been
proposing anything different about the 2014 decision process. In fact
everyone was emphasizing that we should stick to the agreed process.

> Then suddenly, there is an LGM board
> announced that existed, even though there was not a mentioning of this
> before and it seems not everyone from the so-called board is even
> interested to involve.
>
> I find it very confusing that decisions that were reached are
> constantly questioned and discussed again. What is the goal here? If
> there was no consensus, why did not people who were not d'accord say
> anything?  We had the advantage of a face to face meeting and it is as
> if it never happened?

That's not how I see it. I think we are all sticking to the process. The discussion
is mainly about explaining things to people who were not present. Also some
clarification of stuff that wasn't detailed at the meeting or were people have different
recollections. For example, Titanpad says _decision by May 15_. Since that is a
Wednesday it makes sense to have the irc meeting the weekend before.

> Also, despite this long email, please consider: Not everyone who wants
> to contribute is motivated to participate in this kind of politics and
> imposed re-ocurring and time-consuming online discussions.
>
> I do not know how if anyone else sees these issues, but I think more
> structure in a form of an organization, formalization in processes,
> decision making and more transparency could help to avoid such issues
> in future.

I think we all agree about structure. Since the LGM board was an earlier attempt at
structure, it would be a very bad precedent to ignore it for the 2014 decision process,
don't you think?

/Andreas