[LGM] [CREATE] Code of Conduct

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Jan 14 16:49:43 PST 2014

On 14 Jan 2014 15:51, "Hin-Tak Leung" <hintak at ghostscript.com> wrote:

> Hmm, I rather think some of the geekfeminism content material is rather
extreme and make me uncomfortable.

The whole site has a lot of stuff. Are you referring specifically to the
coc template that is written to have bits you don't want elided?

> The way I see these matters on equality and etc is this: does the
paragraphs make sense if you replace every instance of the word "female" by
"black person", "Chinese", "dwarf", "Obama" or "Geek", or "Your
grandmother"? or another specific group of people?

> Granted, chinese isn't strictly speaking a 'minority', but you don't know
how many 'slitty eye' jokes I have heard in my life. (Well, females aren't
"minority" either... If you want to argue that attendences of females are
rare, I can also say that attendences of chinese and blacks or "Obama" are
rare too)

> geeks are minority among the general population, too. It is worth
remembering. Perhaps there should only be one guideline - treat others like
how you would like to be treated.