[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 09:51:24 PST 2015

> Hi all,
>
> I'm sad to say so, but it's clear that as a community, there is no
> consensus on the subject.
> So it's no.

On the contrary, I think it is a too early to conclude!

If I count well, we have 11 people who have shared so far their views on
the subject.

We need to keep the eyes on the principles that are underneath our actions
as a community.

We can disagree on any editorial line or on just about any idea... and we
are good at that! :-). But this is not a matter of opinion, it’s a matter
of principles. We are not discussing or supporting the editorial line of
Charlie Hebdo as I said previously.

This is no common issue. 12 people at CH were sentenced to death and
executed because some others disagreed with what they drew and wrote. These
avengers believed that they had the right to do that, and they did, in
contradiction with the state of rights and in contradiction with the
freedom of speech.

I don’t think that making a statement about freedom of speech can turn away
anyone from LGM.

Our main sponsor for years, Google, is strongly supporting the Charlie
Hebdo issue by funding them to a high 300K euros.

As it was mentioned previously, we can use our own words to express the
same idea. We’re not bound to any graphics or logo or slogan. We can use
it, or not.

Interestingly, one of Charlie Hebdo’s columnist wrote criticism against
wikipedia. I vastly disagree with what was written back then (couple years
ago). Yet, this is an example of freedom of speech. I don’t write “you
should not read that chronicle”. I don’t ask that the magazine should be
banned from publishing because I don’t agree with what they say!

We need to gain highness. If we fear we’re going to turn away people
because we claim high and strong we believe in freedom of speech, well, I
think we need a bit more to discuss and share ideas, explain further and
give better examples.

I think we do have a responsibility as a community to claim those
fundamental rights. They are at the root of our action. They allow us to do
what we do, peacefully and respectfully.

I hope the discussion can go on.

Louis