[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 05:48:50 PST 2015

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Camille Bissuel wrote:

> Secondly, it's not about gaining publicity, it's about telling to our
> community at large we support freedom.

Did anyone even _question_ it?

> This whole thread was making me sad at first, and now it's making me angry.
> I'd like to see valid arguments on why you are against supporting freedom of
> speech with some sentences.

Well, and I'd like to read _sensible_ questions instead of
overreaction. Do you seriously think people wake up in the morning
thinking "Oh, I hope at least whoever organizes LGM believes in the
freedom of speech. If only they said something about that"?

There is no single good reason whatsoever to push "nous sommes" where
"je sois" is an elegant sufficiency. If you _personally_ want to tell
everyone how you feel about what happened, there is a whole range of
options to say that without forcing your personal opinion on everyone
involved with LGM (and posting on the event's website is exactly
that). Wear a "Je sois Charlie" t-shirt, make a tattoo, post on your
personal blog, join a street protest etc.

> I discover sadly most of us don't understand what freedom mean. But
> it's not too late to do some pedagogy.

Oh, I can help you to make some vibrant, memorable slogans for that.

"LGM. We will f*cking lecture you"

Not too soft and about as much arrogant as your original suggestion to
do pedagogy.

Is that the kind of thing you would like LGM to become? Because it's
where things are heading to, judging by discussions in the past few
years.

Sorry, but I don't believe in lecturing people and pushing personal
agenda on them. But I bloody well believe in getting people interested
with excellent works of art, cool software and direct access to its
developers, workshops etc. Do you think LGM would be the right
conference to do just that?

Alex