[LGM] LGM 2016 videos - Worth the wait?

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 17:40:11 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 7:00 PM, C R <cajhne at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> After fixing the logo pixelation, I took it a step further and lightened up
> the video with masks to ensure the projector content and the speaker are
> both lit well enough to see. I think you'll agree it looks much less
> cave-like, and helps to compensate for the fact that we couldn't get anyone
> to adjust the spotlights or adjust the camera brightness levels during the
> conference. :)
>
> See the result here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvz6qie4c6iq2y3/worth_it.mp4?dl=0
>
> Note how clear the font forge logo is on the projector, for example.
>
> Obviously, this change entails more work on my part.
> My question to everyone else, is: Is it worth waiting for the new edits?
> Am I being too much of a perfectionist?

When I was at GUADEC (the GNOME European conference) in August, I have
been blown away by the efficiency of the C3Voc (https://c3voc.de/)
which is the part of the CCC people who make recording and streaming.
During the talks, they made a perfect work: not a single technical
problem, they had cameras on 2 different conference rooms, with live
editing (basic but no need for more), the video were live-streamed on
the web (many people told me they had been viewing my talks and others
in live and that it worked well), then the recordings were available
not even hours after on both their custom platform
(https://media.ccc.de/c/guadec2016), and also on youtube
(https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkmRdYgttscFeGAkxtAL9pr2AggQwke3j).
That's no joke, look at upload dates on both their platform and
youtube: every talk was uploaded the same day they were shot!

This was the best streaming/recording experience I ever had on any
conference I can remember.

Now I am not saying that the work done here is not great, but I think
that what people are looking for in talk recordings are not for a
cinema-worth movie, just a video which is visible, sound which is
hearable, and which can be shared on networks, hopefully very soon
after the event (time is at the essence). Talk videos are not used as
a work-of-art, just for information sharing.
Now what is done is done, and I would propose to simply just release
the videos with the current edits. No need for new edits IMO.

Also for next LGM, I was wondering if the organizers planned for the
streaming/recording with a locale team already? Because the job done
with the CCC guys was so great that I would not be against proposing a
few of these guys to come there (expenses paid by LGM). Now that's not
sure if they would accept, they barely ever get out of Germany. I was
so impressed that I went in touch with them a few weeks ago and asked
if they would do this on other countries (not necessarily for LGM, but
as a general question). They said maybe, but not sure. They also told
me that one problem can be moving the material, depending on where
things happen.
Well if you have a locale Rio team which can do just as well (and you
probably have!), that's better of course. But just in case you don't,
that's still worth a shot asking.

Also even for contents, I think this would be a perfect talk in LGM.
They have a very well calibrated workflow, with Free Software, and
several self-developed software for live editing, streaming and
automatic upload on both their platform and youtube.

Anyway I wanted to share this experience, because this was the first
time I was actually impressed by a video recording at a conference.
And to answer the question again: I personally prefer quickly released
OK videos to perfect videos released months after. So I'd propose to
just release them asap. :-)
Thanks for the work anyway!

Jehan

> Thanks.