[LGM] LGM in Paris?

Frank Trampe frank.trampe at gmail.com
Thu May 4 15:14:13 UTC 2017

I think that we originally asked the 2018 proposers whether they could also
do 2019, since it seemed like a waste for them to discard a good proposal
when it could just be pushed back, and Dave Crossland proposed doing both
as early as last year. Jehan's proposal originated from our disorganization
and forgetfulness about the status of the 2018 proposals, but now that it's
here and now that we know what a great event it could be and the community
interest it might attract, we must pursue it.

Hosting is a lot of work, and Jehan originally offered to host only to save
us from being without a venue, so I'll let him confirm that he's still
interested before we push him any deeper into all this.

Three years of Europe does indeed limit exotic travel destinations, but,
particularly with the cloud over travel reimbursements, that may be a good
thing. Our center of gravity is in Europe, and I think that Rio's distance
from there hurt turnout.

I think that the most important thing for a successful conference is local
energy and interest, and, in that regard, these three all start with an
unusual amount of momentum.