[LGM] LGM in Paris?

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Thu May 4 15:15:45 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Simon Budig <simon at budig.de> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Frank Trampe (frank.trampe at gmail.com) wrote:
>> Your speed and efficiency in putting this together caught me off-guard!
>> Saarbrucken and Milan are both firmly back onboard, so we're probably
>> looking at 2020 for Paris.
>
> Hm, maybe there is a misunderstanding here. My understanding was, that
> Saarbrücken and Milan were alternate options for 2018, with Paris 2019
> being a chance to somewhat restore the 2 years rhythm again.

This was also what I understood. I have to say I was a bit bumped by
the idea of pushing it a year backward.

Now I also perfectly understand that it may be nicer to the previous
hosts to consider them first. I can't really say since I am biased
here. What I can say though is that for 2020, it will likely have to
wait for a year for me to maybe do a formal proposal because it's too
far away (as said in previous email).

> Putting Paris down for 2020 also would mean that we have europe-based
> LGMs for three years in a row. While I am sure that being picky is
> currently not the best of our options I was secretly hoping, that (for
> europens) more remote options would show up as well.

I actually completely agree. Not only for Europeans but even more for
non-European. My opinion is that LGM is too Europe-centric. Well
that's normal since it was born there, but for a Free Software/Libre
Art event, more borderless openness would be more than appreciated.

One of the counterpoint is that it usually means that some of the
European people won't come because it is too expensive. Right. But
have we thought about the non-European people who can't come to Europe
for the same reason?
One of the good side of Rio's LGM is that since there was less
international people, we ended up meeting more locals (compared to
other LGMs IMO). And this was very refreshing to see what they do with
FLOSS.

Other stuff I heard was that in Asia, there were some viruses, and
whatnot. I was a bit shocked by this kind of reaction as a reason to
not get out of Europe to say the least.

All this to say that yeah, I'd be totally in favor of not doing it in
Paris in 2020 (just dropping the Paris proposition) if we get a good
non-European proposal.

Jehan

> Hm. Dunno. Seems we have some sort of luxury problem now   :)
>
> Bye,
>         Simon
> --
>               simon at budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/