[LGM] LGM in Europe?

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Thu May 4 17:33:36 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-05-04 at 13:42 -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
> I admit I have failed to organize this LGM - just staying short of it
> "do not happening at all' - and
> it is mostly my fault.

We (collectively) need to get better at helping & supporting the local
host with logistics, with outreach, with maintaining community.

And there was actually an LGM, with a pretty good venue and speakers
and talks, so there is a definite positive side we should remember.

> So, while for some teams, it is possible to say that "effectively
> there was no LGM in 2017"  -
> but I don't think that should forever shut down any county outside of
> Europe to ever
> even try to hold an LGM

There's nothing to say an LGM in Europe would always succeed either.
You're right.

Next year, let's also try to help people participate remotely if they
can't come to the meeting - e.g. managing a speaking queue for
questions and letting remote people ask questions, even if they have to
be relayed via IRC or Mastodon or Google Hangouts or whatever. My
experience with other conferences is that this does not discourage
people from attending, but rather, increases the audience and
community.

Actually an LGM in (say) India in (say) 2019 might be just fine, if
there are sponsors & a local team.

Liam

--
Liam R E Quin <liam at holoweb.net>
Words and Pictures From Old Books - fromoldbooks.org