[LGM] finances

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 19:32:06 UTC 2017

> Hi
>
> I spoke with Soenke :) Some questions for him/me/us to answer :)
>
> 1. SZ: What is the effect for K8 if the deal is a sponsorship, not a
> donation?
>
> 1b. DC: A sponsorship draft agreement should be shared fro Dave to review
> what the obligations on K8, and for the LGM, will be. I'll try to do that
> in the next few days :)
>
> 1c. SZ: Will K8 be able to provide video recording of the event and
> publication within a reasonable timeframe?
>
> 2. SZ: If the money is coming from outside the EU, will VAT be due
> (hopefully no)?
>
> 2b. SZ: Can K8 provide a W8BEN form (https://www.google.com/
> search?q=w8+ben)?
>
> 3. SZ: What if someone from the LGM community wants to adminster the
> funds; could K8 reduce or share the 15% with them?

   1. We have a form already set-up on the LGM website. This needs to be
   updated each year—slight changes, such as the date ;-) This works very well
   and takes away most of the pain of gathering the infos from the people,
   everyone being responsible for his/her own entry. The form has been used
   for years, so people are used to it and the process is straightforward.
   2. The form allows to upload up to 4 files (and we accept multipage
   documents so generally, one file fits the needs).
   3. The data is exportable in .csv which is very easy to use afterwards
   as a calc sheet. The uploaded documents all need to be renamed using a
   formal naming scheme so we can easily review them and attach them to the
   correct traveller (because people— although asked for—don’t follow the
   naming rules!!!)
   4. What needs to be done by “officers” of LGM is check that list once
   the form is closed and put initials of who checked if the person asking for
   the reimbursement is in fact entitled for it, and actually showed up at
   LGM. As far as I can tell, this part of the process is pretty
   straightforward.
   5. Some basic communications are needed when the said documents are
   wrong (wrong travel receipt, for instance, for people who travel a lot —
   that happens! or unable to read a document — bad scan, or unable to
   establish the currency, or missing bank infos, etc.)
   6. The calc sheet can then be forwarded to the accounting dept.
   7. 1 to 6 rely definitely on LGM organisers.
   8. The accounting dept. sends out the reimbursements
   9. 90% of the cases can be done within a month after LGM ends.
   10. 10% of the cases are exceptions and can take a lot more time to
   process

What needs to be changed is the kind of expenses we agree to reimburse. At
some point, offering too much (a generous idea but hard to accomplish) such
as reimbursement of public transport from and to the airport (or the taxi,
or whatever) brings up tiny issues that have a great potential at slowing
down dramatically the reimbursement process (if only to mention the
difference of currencies: plane ticket bought in one country and public
transport in another currency — all reimbursable in one single currency...).

I would suggest to reimburse only the main travel fees (train, plane, boat)
and not the surrounding fees for the smaller parts of the trip. This alone
will help speed-up the process.

I think that part still can be volunteer work.