[LGM] LGM 2020 Candidates and Discussion

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Feb 23 14:41:42 UTC 2019

On 2/22/19 10:10 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-02-22 at 10:23 -0600, Frank Trampe wrote:
>>  I've checked back, and the Rennes team can
>> still do 2020, but the Colombo team would now prefer 2021 given the
>> lack of advance commitment for 2020.
>
> I'd like to see us decide 2021 and 2022 at LGM itself, with the
> respective teams present. If that doesn't work for 2020 i can
> understand it, but if we can decide there that would be best.
>
> I’ve not been active myself in the past year for personal reasons, so
> i’m for sure not in a position to blame anyone else for being inactive,
> and in any case the meeting itself is when there's most energy. But
> maybe we do need (collectively) to get better at being responsive
> between meetings. Wonder if it'd be worth having a mini-summit half-way
> through, October or November?

This idea of waiting until October or so is I feel the mistake that keeps getting made. Ideally, we should try to ensure that proposers have fully-developed proposals by the time of LGM 2019, so that meaningful discussion (and encouragement) can take place, with as many voices as we can muster to help the process. The decision for 2020 should be very firm by the end of LGM 2019, and for 2021 it should be nearly so.

What this means is that perhaps by April of this year (at a time when we are "coasting into" LGM 2019) efforts should be made to get the proposers for 2020 and 2021 to firm up and flesh out their proposals, so that by the end of May they have the important questions already answered.

Greg