[LGM] LGM 2020 Candidates and Discussion

Pathum Egodawatta pathumego at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 02:59:45 UTC 2019

Hi all!  I'm Pathum from the Sri Lankan team now bidding for LGM 2021.

> This idea of waiting until October or so is I feel the mistake that keeps
getting made. Ideally, we should try to ensure that proposers have
fully-developed proposals by the time of LGM 2019, so that meaningful
discussion (and encouragement) can take place, with as many voices as we
can muster to help the process. The decision for 2020 should be very firm
by the end of LGM 2019, and for 2021 it should be nearly so.

I agree with Greg on this. Specially given the open and participatory
nature of LGM decision making it is important to get the ball rolling very
soon. We have the most comprehensive proposal that we can make with what we
know and have confirmed so far.

Sri Lanka will be a deviation from usual Europe-North America venue cycle
of LGM. If we can get a preliminary 'Yes' from the teams the local team can
lockdown certain details and move forward with preparing a much detailed
proposal by LGM 2019.

Sadly non of the prospective-2021-local-team is able to attend LGM 2019.
However we can join for a call remotely and answer any specific issues when
you discuss the proposals. I intend to attend LGM 2020.

On another note; I think we can streamline the proposal and approval
process. I think it is good to put some thought into how we can make the
proposal process more efficient and easy for both prospective local teams
and people on the list to review and contribute. Since LGM already operate
an GitHub org we can setup a new repo for proposals and use the issues to
track status of the proposals. We can link to relevant email threads and
IRC logs from there. Maybe this is something to discuss at the LGM this
year.

Regards,
_pe

on mobile