[LGM] LGM 2019 - Funding

Frank Trampe frank.trampe at gmail.com
Tue May 7 03:11:39 UTC 2019

Hi, Jehan.

The proposal is not to give anything to Google for free. It may not be
expressly mentioned in the new agreement, and I know my stopgap proposal on
printed materials may have muddied the waters a bit, but the understanding
is that Google will still be contributing $20,000 towards the event in
exchange for the items listed in the agreement. Given that Google's
sponsorship of $15,000 last year covered all video-related expenses with a
significant over-run, I would expect $20,000 to cover the costs of video
recording and production, including the short promotional videos, plus a
lot more.

If Saint Louis prices are any guide, I would expect the videography,
including the two promotional reels, to cost under $5,000 if priced
competitively. If the prices somehow get out of control, we can always just
rent equipment; there will be no lack of people present who can operate it.
Likewise, the short promotional videos do not need to be Hollywood-quality,
and I am happy to make them myself if those prices look likely to soak up
the whole budget.

I'm very mindful of the precarious financial state of LGM, and I would not
support a sponsorship arrangement with net-negative financial implications.
I'm instead excited about this deal, as it seems very likely to allow us to
return to reimbursing travel expenses, which would be a great relief for
small projects with limited budgets and might also increase attendance.