[LGM] LGM 2019 - Funding

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu May 9 14:34:53 UTC 2019

On Mon, 6 May 2019 at 22:40, Jehan <jehan.marmottard at gmail.com> wrote:

> > - A statement in the description field of each video uploaded to YouTube
> > that includes a text approved by Google. For example:
> > "This presentation was recorded on 1st June 2019 as part of Libre
> Graphics
> > Meeting 2019, at the Hochschule der Bildenden Künste Saar in
> Saarbruecken,
> > Germany. This video was made possible through sponsorship and volunteer
> > work from several individuals and organizations. To learn more, see
> > libregraphicsmeeting.org/2019/"
> >

> If not mistaken, from the IRC discussion between Pippin and Pat, I think
> this last sentence was not very appreciated because it implies sponsorship
> for the video by these organizations with list found on website. Pippin
> was
> proposing to remove it altogether (and just keep the
> https://libregraphicsmeeting.org/2019/ link). So that would become:
>
> > This presentation was recorded on 1st June 2019 as part of Libre
> Graphics
> Meeting 2019, at the Hochschule der Bildenden Künste Saar in Saarbruecken,
> Germany. To learn more, see libregraphicsmeeting.org/2019/

I have used this new version and put it into the obligations itself.

> > - An image or set of images that uses the Google logo, any other logos,
> > and communicates the above statement visually shall be included for 3
> > seconds, at the start of 2 short promotional videos about the 2018 event
> > and the 2019 event, subject to design approval by Google before
> publication.
>
> Though I'm not fond of LGM making ads for free for a huge company such as
> Google, at least it's not the main talk videos, so that's better in a way.
>
> I'm just wondering about: who will make these additional promo videos?
> Making good videos take time, dedication and good designer eyes (we know,
> we do this daily!). Also I am assuming that these will have to be made
> with
> FLOSS (which is also what we do).
>
> I'm just raising this issue because I'm a bit scared that some people may
> just promise stuff for others to be done without even consulting these
> people if they are ok.

Soenke said K8 is capable to produce this video, given the raw footage is
available under a libre license.

> ok to do unpaid work for a big company.

The point of the sponsorship is to pay (and pay well) for the work.

Here is my latest draft of the sponsorship agreement. I believe this is
uncontroversial and I will proceed:

- - - - - - - - - - - - 8< - - - - - - - - - - - -

The primary intent of Google’s sponsorship is to facilitate the timely
publication of edited audio-video recordings of event presentations soon
after the conclusion of the event. Remaining funds can be used by the
Organization at its discretion for the benefit of the Project, such as
paying travel expenses.

Organization will arrange for audio-video recordings of all the stage
presentations to be made.

Organization will arrange for the recordings to undergo a high-quality
editing and post-production process.

Organization will arrange for a short promotional video about the Project
to be created using the audio-video recordings.

To encourage and facilitate use, remixing, and widespread dissemination as
an open educational resource, Organization will arrange for all video to be
released under a "free cultural work" license, such as the Creative Commons
"Attribution" or "Attribution ShareAlike" licenses, and upload them to
YouTube on the “Libre Graphics Meeting” Channel (
https://www.youtube.com/user/LibreGraphicsMeeting) before the Project End
Date (September 1, 2019)

The sponsorship will be publicized as follows:

- Google's logo, linked to the Google Fonts About Page (
fonts.google.com/about), shall be added to the Libre Graphics Meeting 2019
website sponsorship, programme and home pages, subject to design approval
by Google before publication.

- Text describing the sponsorship on the sponsorship page, subject to
approval by Google before publication.

- If Organization creates a printed Programme that is offered to event
participants, the Google logo shall be included, subject to design approval
by Google before publication.

- If Organization creates a printed Poster, the Google logo shall be
included, subject to design approval by Google before publication.

- Opening and closing remarks from the main stage by a representative of
Organization shall include positive recognition of the sponsorship.

- A statement in the description field of each video uploaded to YouTube
that includes the following text: "This presentation was recorded on 1st
June 2019 as part of Libre Graphics Meeting 2019, at the Hochschule der
Bildenden Künste Saar in Saarbruecken, Germany. To learn more, see
libregraphicsmeeting.org/2019"