[LGM] Cancel LGM please

Jehan jehan at girinstud.io
Sat Mar 28 17:55:16 UTC 2020

Hi!

On 2020-03-28 18:42, doctormo at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 2020-03-28 at 15:55 +0100, Jehan wrote:
>> Personally I don't care that much about video conferences without
>> the physical meeting part (my favorite part of LGM is meeting the
>> people not the confs, even though many of these confs are very cool).
>
> I sent an email last night to the FSF LibrePlanet people, they also
> canceled their event (days before it was to happen too). They have a
> technology stack to run a conference. I people aren't doing anything
> else because they were going to be at LGM, then a stop gap virtual LGM
> might be something social and less isolating. We may actually get
> people attending who could never have come to France anyway.
>
> Do I take it this would only be interesting if the FSF could host it
> technically speaking?

Not sure I understand your question. I never talked about the FSF. Why
would they host LGM?

Anyway an online-only LGM is also a possibility of course. Personally I
won't be excited about it, but if people really want to do this, it's
all fine by me. It's mostly the physical part I am worried about and
would vote for it to be canceled too.

Now after that, whether local organizers would prefer to transform it
into an online-only event or move it instead to 2021, I'd say it's up to
them to decide what they prefer. I would prefer a physical LGM at Rennes
next year, but that's just my personal opinion.

Jehan

> Best Regards, Martin Owens
> Inkscape Project

ZeMarmot open animation film