[Libreoffice-qa] Bug Submission Assistant translation

Loic Dachary loic at dachary.org
Thu Sep 15 01:16:55 PDT 2011

Hi,

The internationalization of the Bug Submission Assistant involve two workflow (1) silversprite, 2) wiki), as discussed earlier this week
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Bug_Submission_Assistant#Internationalization

Yesterday I tried to figure out how the translation of
https://bugassistant.libreoffice.org/libreoffice/bug.xhtml
could be done. This file is a template that is processed by https://bugassistant.libreoffice.org/libreoffice/bug.xsl to create the HTML page running the Bug Submission Assistant at https://bugassistant.libreoffice.org/libreoffice/bug/bug.html

When we discussed i18n earlier this week, I thought that I would remove the strings from https://bugassistant.libreoffice.org/libreoffice/bug.xhtml and place them in http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport_Details so that they are translated with the rest of the text. It would show like this:

Long description (10 chars min):
SUBMIT
Related bug reports
The bug report has been successfully submitted
Upload an attachment illustrating the problem

etc.

These are strings out of context and translating them is quite different from translating a meaningfull wiki page. The tools used to perform such translations are specialized (poedit for instance when gettext is used by the application) and designed to help deal with updates. Trying to replicate this workflow within a wiki page is, I think, bound to be a frustrating experience for everyone.

I thought about using gettext with the bug submission assistant (which I've already done successfully in another web application). The strings from bug.xhtml would then be available in a .pot file and could be submitted to a translation team. I assume (although I've not checked) that the libreoffice application is localized using gettext. There probably is a team of translators who are familiar with it and may be inclined to translate the bug submission assistant.

However, before going in this direction, I need your advice. If the bug submission assistant uses gettext, translating it would involve three different methods and three different workflow : 1) silversprite, 2) wiki, 3) gettext. I can't help but think there should be a simpler way. And if there is no simpler way, I would like to be extra sure all options have been explored :-)

What do you think ?