[Libreoffice-qa] Insulting comments in bug reports: what should we do?

Rainer Bielefeld LibreOffice at bielefeldundbuss.de
Wed Jul 18 10:33:06 PDT 2012

Roman Eisele schrieb:

> Please don't get me wrong: I don't want to blame Urmas, maybe he had a
> bad day.

Hi,

may be, but as Alex said, I also see such slips from time to time and
some latent aggressiveness (and also rather good work).

Although we should not be squeamish, such comments are not fair and
third persons reading that, especially newcomers, will be daunted seeing
such a tone in Bugzilla.

And my bad realizing: there is no nostrum, we can't do much.

My way to handle such issues when I am involved or only see them: I
write a polite mail (normally without any comment in the Bug), the next
day, not immediately. I think we should not feed a Troll (I don't want
to call U. a simple Troll) with comments in the Bug, but react with a
polite personal mail "hi, what's on, it seems you have had some bad
experiences, or what's the reason that ...)

And a second mail to the victim of the attack with some words of
comfort, support and information that the attack has been seen.

Sometimes it seems to help (or may be simply the bad mood of the
commenter as passed), sometimes I get rude answers, sometimes things
become more difficult than they were before, I remember 1 case where the
other one left the project.

I'm afraid this all will not help very much,

Best regards

Rainer