[Libreoffice-qa] Insulting comments in bug reports: what should we do?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Jul 19 04:18:12 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 19:33 +0200, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
> may be, but as Alex said, I also see such slips from time to time and
> some latent aggressiveness (and also rather good work).

	Right - it is worth bearing in mind that if someone has had their
document data lost / corrupted by some bug or other - they are unlikely
to be in the most balanced state of mind when the file and/or comment on
similar bugs :-)

	Personally, I dislike offensive comments - they make me internally
de-prioritise that particular bug :-) so somewhat counter-productive.

	I still think that all hard rules to police politeness will eventually
turn out to be a terrible idea ;-) instead it's better to have a set of
people who gently clue-bat offenders and understand their pain. People
care passionately about LibreOffice - and that's a good thing :-), and
they have high goals for it which is good too - until those goals seem
to be blocked.

	My hope would be that most of these comments would eventually be in
closed bugs that no-one ever looks at - no doubt that is everyone's
goal :-)

	HTH,

		Michael.