[Libreoffice-qa] Insulting comments in bug reports: what should we do?

Olav Dahlum odahlum at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:14:29 PDT 2012

2012/7/18 Alexander Thurgood <alex.thurgood at gmail.com>

> Hi Roman,
>

> Le 18/07/12 18:42, Roman Eisele a écrit :
>
> > This is a good consideration, too, and implies that the best thing to
> > do may be just to ignore insulting comments completely and to continue
> > with the real work. Maybe this is the best way to proceed for now, but
> > I am not sure; I still worry about what the original bug reporters
> > will think about LibreOffice if the 1st answer they get is insulting ...
>
> I suppose one way of countering that risk is to add a comment to the
> same bug report that comes across as more helpful, whilst disagreeing
> with the unpleasant or unwarranted comment. That way, the initial poster
> will see that there is in fact a positive-minded community behind the
> project (even if we can't help out, ultimately), and the
> unpleasant/unwarranted commenter will stand corrected - beware of
> feeding the troll though ;-)
>

> Alex

Indeed, we can zero out the offending comments this way. There is clearly
an imminent need for behavioural improvements in this individual case, so
let's monitor any comments and reports from this person from now. I did
actually read posts where "he" gave positive feedback, so I wouldn't chuck
him out at his point.

--
Olav Dahlum

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795