[Libreoffice-qa] Bugzilla Migration Plan

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 09:52:53 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 5:05 AM, Petr Mladek <pmladek at suse.cz> wrote:

> It would be great to avoid the "ask for permission" step if possible. It
> would be a lot of work.

It would be a lot of work; yes, we should ask a lawyer :-)

> Note that the overloaded FDO bugzilla admins
> would need to extract the user infos selectively again and again.

There are a couple of ways to speed up the please-re-enable-my-account
process. That being said, I think if we ask people a month or so
before the transfer, I'm hopeful that we can get 90%+ of the
currently-active bugzilla accounts, so the workload might not be that
huge...

> Also I
> am afraid that we will not get many approvals because people simply
> won't mind.

yep, yep

> Also I am not sure about the point:
>
> - Add a default license/ToS for all users/new bugs (I suggest CC-BY-SA
> 3.0 for consistency)

Right now it sounds like we're unsure if we transfer data/comments
from FDO because there's no license on that data, and no ToS (that I
can see) anywhere on the FDO/Bugzilla site. If we had such a
license/ToS on there right now, the whole discussion about 'can we
transfer data?' would be moot.

Even if we didn't have this hurdle in front of us right now, I'd still
think it would be a good idea to clarify our usage terms for the
bugtracker data. Given that we *actually* need to address this problem
before a migration can proceed, I think we'd be foolish not to prevent
this problem from occurring in the future :-)

> On one hand it would be interesting to get test documents under certain
> license. On the other hand, people must not be scared to attach them.
> Also we should not overengineer it ;-)

True, true. A particular CC license might not work for all use cases,
especially with test documents attached to bugs. My primary focus here
would be to ease any future data transitions in the future; we'd
probably want to do some brainstorming and/or ping some other FOSS
projects for advice on this topic.

> Finally, I support the idea of our own bugzilla. It might solve many of
> the mentioned problems. On the other hand, I am still a bit unsure about
> the needed work. Do we already have a volunteer who could maintain
> it? ;-)

I'm going to defer to Joel regarding the workload for day-to-day
administration of projects in Bugzilla, but I think that the QA Team
usually has that aspect of the bug tracker under control.

Regarding the backend sysadmin aspects, I don't think that there'd be
much required beyond security upgrades.

Cheers,
--R