[Libreoffice-qa] Grammar check does not work, when there is no spellcheck in a document

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 06:46:47 PST 2013

Hi Andras

Andras Timar-3 wrote
> The built-in English grammar checker (Lightproof) does not know many
> rules. It does not mean, that "B) grammar check is not usable at all".
> It works as designed.

I'm sorry but I couldn't avoid laughing at this...

Works as designed? Yes, this is true. It is indeed *usable* but USELESS.
Sorry for picking the wrong word.

>From a functionality point of view this is the same as saying that "LO does
NOT provide a Grammar checker for en_US. You should get an Extension if you
require that Extra feature". This means that the menu option IS misleading.

I am aware that the Language tools are not developed by TDF but then to be
perfectly honest TDF should not gloat that "Writer has all the features you
need from a modern, full-featured word processing and desktop publishing
tool" (I had never noticed the DTP part... LOL)
A Grammar checker is a MAJOR feature of a word processor. Again, playing
with words, it is indeed *included* except that it is useless...

Of course this is not a TDF/LO only problem. Still it is misleading and
disappointing...

Oh, and Language Tool didn't find any errors on that sentence...

Just my 2 cents...