[Libreoffice-qa] Grammar check does not work, when there is no spellcheck in a document

Thomas Hackert thackert at nexgo.de
Sun Dec 8 07:08:38 PST 2013

Hello Pedro, *,
On Sonntag, 8. Dezember 2013 13:17 Pedro wrote:
> Thomas Hackert wrote
>> "sigh" ... It seems, either I expect too unexpected things from
>> LO, or the grammar check is not usable at all ... :( But if I
>> switch my UI settings to en-US, I can write something completely
>> rubbish, and the grammar checker will not find it, if all words
>> are written correctly ... :(
>
> You should notice that the message says "The spellcheck is
> complete"

No, because ... When I use LO with a Germanophone UI, open (or
create) a text document with grammatical errors in it, I see a
yellowish "bar" (not sure, if a dev would call it that way ... ;) )
with text in it. So there seems to be some kind of (rudimentary?)
grammar check inside LO. On my system, there is also a "Check
grammar" field to mark, if I start the spellchecker ... ;)

> There is no grammar correction. That is one of the
> (main?) reasons people prefer MS Word ;)

Oh, it is on my system :) I get a yellowish question/hint (depending
on the type of "error", which is found) ... ;)

> In any case using Word 2003, the final sentence after grammar
> correction is "Does he know that he has wrong?" which is much
> better than "Does he known, that he has wrong." but still isn't
> correct English...

O.K.

> So, the answer is "B) grammar check is not usable at all" only
> spell checking is performed (which means that the menu option name
> "Spelling and Grammar" is misleading)

O.K. Thanks for your answer
Thomas.

--
If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
		-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth