[Libreoffice-qa] Git error with bibisect40

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 13:56:03 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Terrence Enger <tenger at iseries-guru.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 23:14 +0700, Korrawit Pruegsanusak wrote:
>> Hello Ken, all,
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Ken Biondi <kenbiondi at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> > Unfortunately neither git checkout . nor git clean -fd, git reset
> --hard
>> > solved my problem.
>>
>> I wonder what is your output of git status.
>>
>> Anyway, I would try delete everything except one .git/ hidden folder,
>> and do git checkout oldest.
>
> I have added Ken's pair of commands from his earlier email and his
> recommendation from below to the wiki, with no more explanation than
> "if one does not solve the problem, try the next".
> The change:
> <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=QA%
> 2FHowToBibisect&action=historysubmit&diff=81218&oldid=81064>;
> the result:
> <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/HowToBibisect#Installed_LibreOffice_became_modified_unexpectedly>.
>

>> Note: I didn't try bibisect40 yet, so this may not work. :-)
>
> Several times along the way, I have resorted to the extreme measure of
> deleting the directory with the bibisect repository and extracting it
> again from the tarfile.  That is perhaps the ultimate repair.

provide that you do have a .git directory in there

then rm -fr * (will delete everything but .git /.gitignore and othe .* files)
then
git checkout newest  (assuming that the repo has a 'newest' tag)
should bring you back in a 'sane state'
then again maybe you are in the middle of a bisection.. then git
bisect --reset may help
it is a bit hard to fix thing 'blind'.. but assuredly it is fixable...
it is just a matter of understanding in what state your tree is

Norbert