[Libreoffice-qa] Tinderboxes: Holiday Wishlist

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 17:31:07 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 5:59 AM, Pedro <pedlino at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some old requests
>
> 1) Clear explanation of what are the differences between the builds from the
> several TB.
> If there are none then one daily build per OS is enough

So perhaps a plain English explanations of all variables:
- Branch
- OS
- configure options
- etc...

> 2) If no one cares to explain then please indicate which is the recommended
> build to test.
> Currently my understanding is that the recommended, for the Windows OS, is
> from TDF owned TB #47. Unfortunately that rule currently only  applies to
> the Master branch...

Now that we have official TDF tinderboxes, we have a bit more
confidence that those will be up consistently. Whether or not they
consistently produce builds is another thing :P  QA can definitely
help out here -- in the short term we can continue to ping the
tinderbox owners whenever new builds aren't being uploaded, and in the
longer term we can investigate some automatic testing to make sure
that the builds are not only being uploaded, but are runnable as well.

> 3) Consistent filenames across TB (hint to Thorsten ;) ) Not needed if one
> build per OS is enough (see point 1)

Given that we have a community of tinderboxes, I don't see a reason
against standardized names. If someone doesn't want to follow the
particular naming convention, it's fine for them to run an unlisted
tinderbox...

> 4)  Text file with details associated with each installer (since the
> executables have NO reference to the TB that produced them). Again, not
> needed if one build per OS is enough (see point 1)

So shove info in regarding who built what and when?
Bjoern -- That should be relatively easy, right?  (also: what do you
think of the idea? :-)

> Sidenote: I would say that having a 4.2 daily build is currently more
> important than a Master build (since 4.3 is only planned for code freeze in
> May...)

Well, we do need master builds for general QA testing, as well as for
the bibisect repos, so I think that Master builds are often the most
useful to us in the long term. That being said, I would definitely
like daily builds for our stable branches; I believe that it's doable
for us to have both.

--R