[Libreoffice-qa] Stagnant NEEDINFO bugs

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Thu Feb 7 05:18:12 PST 2013

Dan Lewis píše v St 06. 02. 2013 v 10:35 -0500:
> On 02/06/2013 09:50 AM, Robert Großkopf wrote:
> > Hi Alex,
> >> After suffering from the last two mass closure / re-initialisations of
> >> status of a fair number of bugs I had spent time in opening, but for
> >> lack of a dedicated developer / interest in those particular areas of LO
> >> at the time (OSX bugs, Base bugs) they never got any attention, I for
> >> one, will not be interested in this happening yet again.
> > All open bugs in Base today: 225
> > Bugs, which are "Unconfimed": 27
> > Bugs, which are "Needinfo": 26
> > I don't think that we need automatically way to get these bugs away.
> > Problem of many of these bugs: They couldn't be confirmed by everybody,
> > because there are special configurations with external databases or Mac.
> > What we need: developers, who will work on bugs in Base. There are many
> > bugs "New" and opened since the first version of LO.
> >
> > Robert
>       I agree with Robert. This also goes to a complaint that I saw on
> the LibreOffice user list. The person wanted more time spent by the
> developers on removing the bugs that exist in LO and less time on
> producing more code that contains more bugs. This is poor planning. From
> Robert's data, 172 open bugs have not had a developer correct . These
> are the ones that have been confirmed and contained enough data for a
> developer to begin work. That is 76% of the bugs reported for Base.

I see many developers spending time on bugfixing. I think that this is
not the main problem here.

IMHO, the problem is that we do not have enough developers interested
into Base. If you look at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.0#Base there are only
two Base-related features and these are more or less bug fixes.

The question is how to motivate more developers to work on Base. Do you
know some? Could you try to encourage them to contribute?

Also you could pay someone to work on a certain bug. There is a growing
list of certified developers which are capable of doing such things.
These are well spend money because they improve the product and motivate
people working on LO.

> Personally, I think LO (perhaps the BOD) needs to look at what is being
> done and what effects it is having on the product they are making
> available for downloading.

Well, BOD cannot force any volunteer to work on any particular bug.
These people promote the product, encourage potential contributors, give
ideas when there is a conflict. You could do this as well, every day.

Best Regards,
Petr