[Libreoffice-qa] Stagnant NEEDINFO bugs

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sun Jan 27 00:45:18 PST 2013

Hi Joel,

If you are asking our opinion on these ...

Le 2013-01-26 17:22, Joel Madero a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> During our last QA call we came up with a plan for NEEDINFO bugs that
> have been stagnant for 6+ months. I've decided to remove this from the
> minutes because there are some concerns about the agreement that was
> made. It was requested that we have a discussion through a thread about
> what we should do about these bugs.
>
> Let's try to keep this thread moving and organized so we can make a
> decision once and for all. Goal should be to minimize flare ups from
> users while keeping in mind that our long term QA goal is to get FDO
> organized, accurate and under control.
>
> With that, I'll let the thread move forward :-D

> a) Leave them alone, accept that most will just sit in NEEDINFO forever
>
> b) Automate a reminder for these bugs and leave it at that, if it
> doesn't lead to anything, so be it, leave the bugs alone
>
> c) a reminder + automated closing of bug after some period of time
>
> d) a "3 strikes" type system - send one reminder, a month later send a
> second with a warning the bug will be closed, then close the bug
>

> These are the options that come to mind.
>
> Best Regards,
> Joel
>
> P.S. Florian - please hold off on writing something about our previous
> agreement until we reach some consensus here.

+1 for d) BUT make it a real "3 strikes". one reminder, a month later
send another reminder, a month later send the last reminder with a
warning that the bug will be closed in one month.

The 3-strikes concept is understandable to most people and I believe the
submitter would be more understanding if the bug were closed. It also
gives more than an abundant amount of time to fill out the missing
details of the bug -- from start to end would take 4 months. This would
hopefully quiet the noise from disgruntled submitters and allow QA
people enough time to get to them if they find some of them important
enough for a closer look. Hopefully most of these would be taken care in
shorter amount of time.

Cheers,

Marc

--