[Libreoffice-qa] Cleaning up QA Nabble and Archive folders from Spam?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Mon May 13 07:11:51 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Nino Novak <nn.libo at kflog.org> wrote:
> Am 13.05.2013 00:03, schrieb Thorsten Behrens:
>
>> That's why we run it on fdo - such that you don't have to worry. ;)
>
> But in this case, IMHO we /have/ to worry a bit as there has been
> increasing spam impact in the last week or so.

Yes, indeed.

> So I'd tend to set the qa list to "moderated" as we obviously seem to
> have several moderators for the list. Of course, that would cause a
> certain delay in case of high frequency postings by (non-subscribed)
> devs in a heaty discussion. However, devs could be added to "allowed
> senders" list, so this problem could be reduced.

My general thought on lists that get spam and/or have a constant of
new users using the list improperly is that you set everyone's
moderation bit to be ON initially. Once they send 1 cogent, non-spam
email to the list, then you set the moderation bit to OFF.

Sure, some people can veer off-topic, but we can deal with those cases
individually. This type of setup gets rid of the SPAM spray and only
inconveniences everyone just a single time. I've found it's important
to add a few moderators to the pool so that nobody is waiting in "list
purgatory" for more than a couple of hours :-)

Cheers,
--R