[Libreoffice-qa] LibreOffice Bugzilla (migration) Proposal

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 08:59:14 PST 2013

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Thomas Hackert <thackert at nexgo.de> wrote:

> Though you have given us a detailed proposal, I have still a couple
> of questions, sorry ... :(

awww, that's okay -- must be comeuppance for all of the questions I
ask all the time :-)

> 1. What will happen with the existing bugs? Will they stay in their
> current status (like "OPEN", "NEW" and the like)? Or will that be
> changed for some reason?

To make the move as painless as possible, my suggestion is that we
change as little as possible during the actual migration. Once we've
got the migration step complete (and after a few days of monitoring),
then we can start breaking^H^H^H^H^H ...I mean, updating and improving
the bugtracker.

If there is something big/intrinsic that we want to change (e.g. the
list of valid bug states), we should discuss if it makes sense to lump
that change in with the migration. My gut feeling is that it will be
safest to make that change separately, but it's best to have the
discussion and evaluate our options.

> 2. Will the change to our bugzilla instance mean, that all
> reporters, CC'ed persons, etc. will get a mail á la "Your bug was
> moved to bugs.libreoffice.org" (or something like that)? Or would it
> be possible to mail all registered users beforehand (for LO bugs
> that is ... ;) )? I mean, we have old bugs there, where its reporter
> may have forgotten about it in the meantime.

In the current proposal there are a couple of different "notify
everyone" steps. In either one of them (probably the one ahead of
time) we could notify all of our bug reporters of the upcoming
migration.

Given the large number of bug reporters and the fact that many of them
are not very involved in the LibreOffice community, we'll want to
craft our email interactions carefully so we can have the best
possible interaction. Anything we can do to simplify the account
migration process will help keep us in the good graces of our
userbase.

> 3. You seem to have forgotten to mention, that we have to search the
> source code / OLH from LO itself and replace all occurences there as
> well. Or am I just too blind ;? A short
> <quote>
> grep "bugs.freedesktop" -R libreoffice |wc -l
> </quote>
> on the source code found 30 hits, and I am not sure, if bfo is
> mentioned in the OLH as well ... :( I only found one in the
> Germanophone help in Pootle that far, but that does not mean
> anything ... ;)

Ah yes, source code should be on the list. I'll add that now.

Because
1) We're planning to keep the same bug #s, and
2) My migration proposal includes some form of redirect (automatic or
notification with link)

Any old FDO URLs that we miss in the initial migration will still
point (indirectly) at the new LibreOffice Bugzilla URL. So in that
respect, I think we're pretty-well covered.

> But it will still be a lot of work to change all wiki pages
> (especially the ones related to bug hunting, reporting and the
> like), the qa.libreoffice site, etc. to change them to the new
> address, changing usefull search strings for blo and the like ... :(

There will be a bit of rewrite work necessary in the wiki, especially
for QA, however most of the technical details will remain the same
(partially because of our goal of making no unnecessary changes during
the migration process).

In the weeks leading up to the planned migration, we can start to
expand the documentation in the wiki (and elsewhere) to mention both
the current system and the future system. That way when the migration
day comes we won't be composing new documentation on the spot, but can
simply remove the old text and any references to "future migration"
and have a quick change-over.

> And changing other documentations, finding other sites, which refer
> to fdo ... :(

Sure -- I think there will be a little cleanup here and there in the
weeks after the migration, but I think that our redirects will make
that process (mostly) painless for our users.

> Thank you for your summary and have a nice day
> Thomas.

:-)

--R