[Libreoffice-qa] Existing German translation in Moztrap

Yifan Jiang yfjiang at suse.com
Tue Nov 19 11:41:33 PST 2013

Hi *,

The repo is here (silently), may be I should make it available for
@tdf searching :)

    https://github.com/yifanjiang/moztrap

The important hacking on this branch is OpenID login implementation.

As for the localization, IMHO, is inevitably considered divided into 2
levels:

    1. the UI level

    The content is relatively "static" in moztrap *code*, usually
    *translated* word by word.

    Yes, with Django framework, it is not that complicated to leverage
    pootle approach to translate the UI of Moztrap, where UI indicates
    any text else except test cases content in Moztrap.

    But, I doubt it is really necessary to implement and MAINTAIN this
    even if the word-by-word translation has been highly automated:

    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=en&tl=de&u=http://manual-test.libreoffice.org/results/runs/

    2. the test case level

    The content is relatively "dynamic" in moztrap *database*, usually
    *localized* sentence by setence or paragraphs by paragraphs. The
    similar way of UI level translation does make sense in the first
    place, however *database* level translation is not that easy as
    what we did in *code* level in a Django framwork. It may be needed
    to deeply reconstruct the moztrap core tables, and hook together
    pootle like translation content with the refined moztrap database.

    In another word, yes, technically it can be more complicated :)

Best wishes,
Yifan

--
  Yifan Jiang